Daring fun, kosovorotkas and kokoshniks, clapping and stomping – such associations we have now with the words «Russian song». Maybe it is truth, but not all one. Here is the other face of Russian song heritage, a selection of songs from the collection of Alexander Matochkin, among which are Russian folk songs, some foreign ones and author’s songs too.
Alexander Matochkin was born and grew up in an urban environment, where Russian traditional song is a real rarity now. No wonder ? truly folk, not arranged and not accompanied by instrument song it is a real surprise to the modern listener ? such inescapable, ultimate Russian melancholy is in it.
Alexander mastered the traditional Russian songs in the folk ensemble of the St. Petersburg State University. Fifteen years he studied folk songs, toured with expeditions in the Russian North, has collected many ancient tunes and tales, but has not defended his thesis. Perhaps, he gathered too many Russian melancholy on villages, and had to reserve it for himself.
He himself learned to play the harmonica. Russian songs are not often sung under the harmonica, but it seems to us, this is not a deviation from tradition. Terrible are these folk songs, actually, and harmonica is terrible too.
1. A girl with the spinning wheel is sitting at the window 04:19
2. Between a donkey and an ox 04:13
3. It was on the bridge 03:08
4. A trouble was happened in the evening 01:53
5. Dobrynya says goodbye to his wife 06:28
6. The sun was shining over the forest 04:25
7. Sokolnik has beaten Dobrynya 05:46
8. My beautiful day will wake up 05:31
9. Entre le boeuf et l’âne gris 04:02
10. Her feet go bad from grief 04:28
11. Keep your mind in hell and despair not 03:20
Limited to 200 copies
Comes in 6-panel digipack with 8-page booklet.